Thursday, April 2, 2015

Lemon Scones


It's almost Easter and I have the perfect recipe for you!  These lemon scones are so tasty they won't last long!  Back in my accounting days it was always a goooood day when Barb would bring in her lemon scones for a special treat.  My pregnant self always indulged in too many, but how could I resist!  Here is the recipe:

Scone:
2 1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 TBSP baking powder
11 TBSP  cold unsalted butter
1 cup heavy cream

Glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla (would be good with almond too!)
zest of 1 lemon (would be good with lime or orange too!)
1 1/2 TBSP water

  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Add all dry ingredients into a bowl or your electric mixer (I used my mixer this time and I felt it worked just as well as mixing it by hand with a pastry blender)
  • Add cold butter (cut up into small cubes)
  • Add heavy cream
  • Mix until it all sticks together, don't over mix.  Your butter should be about the size of peas
  • Roll out your dough either on a floured surface or on parchment paper (I used parchment paper so that I could put the dough in the fridge if it started getting soft and sticky.)
  • Cut dough into scone shapes, the easiest way to explain that would be make a square and then put cut and 'x' through it, giving you 4 triangles.  Mine never come out perfect, they all taste the same.  :)  
  • Put on a cookie sheet (I sprayed mine lightly but not sure if that is necessary) and bake for 15-20 min.  It took mine 15.  
  • Let cool completely before you add the glaze.  The glaze is super easy, just mix the ingredients together and either dunk into the glaze or drizzle the scone with the glaze.  I prefer to spoon some glaze on each scone and smear it around, if you dunk, it uses up your mixture really fast and you might run out before you're done.  
When I made these yesterday, I doubled the batch and it made 72 scones of varying shape and size.  

I hope you enjoy these as much as my family does!!  Happy Easter.  XO

No comments:

Post a Comment